Wednesday, August 31, 2011

The Obtrusive Little List

So I've been thinking.

Which can really get me into trouble. I know, I know, I can hear it now, "But dear Guten Allie, I didn't know you could think." I will give you some time to formally register your objection to this news.

In the mean time, here are some pictures that are totally unrelated to the content of this post!

The ice storm we had not so long ago. That is HAIL.
A rainbow over our favorite little town, Heidelberg.
Bride and groom sawing their first log together...like ya do. Obviously some kind of sex metaphor.

Aaaaaaand...I hope that was enough time for you. 

So, I've been thinking, and try as I might I just can't stop, about some of the things I want to do with my life. I have a certain proclivity toward laziness, so you can see why I'm quite vexed. But this list just keeps coming back to me, and with alarming force. So I thought maybe if I write these things down, they will go away and I can return to my unfussed state. No such luck! I wrote them down at least two and a half times, and still the thoughts continued to harass. Now I suppose I should take a bigger leap and put them on the internet. It seems the next logical step.

While my sensibilities twinge a bit at the term "Bucket List" not only for the banality of the common bucket to hold such important life dreams, or the morbidity of the idea that such dreams must be achieved, presumably, close to death, but more that my most associative memories of a bucket involve myself as a 10 year old wanting to play outside but instead being confined to the couch to puke into said receptacle. Ew, the bucket. You don't want to have to get out the bucket. And I guess, as far as my own (shudder) Bucket List is concerned, I feel the same way. But The List has nonetheless made an appearance and it seems it will not be ignored. 

So here it is, my little List, written most assuredly under duress. These things have been on my mind for months without conscious aid on my part, so I suppose they are here to stay.

The Bucket List
1. Do 10 perfect pushups, forever
2. Weigh (mumble, mumble, mumble) pounds, forever
3. Flawlessly drive a stick shift
4. Learn to ride a motorcycle
5. Learn a foreign language to a conversational level, forever
6. Finish my masters degree
7. Do a real half-marathon* or triathalon
8. Always write a blog

* I did complete a half marathon in 2009, but my heart wasn't really in it and I didn't train properly and the time was atrocious, so I feel like it didn't really count.

And that is IT. No more! Eight items is borderline too many anyway. I grow faint just thinking about it. My demanding little list here has even forced timelines into my goals, most notably, forever. Ugh. Where did these things come from? Not my psyche, thats for sure. This is totally out of character. If I wanted to invent such a list on my own volition, which I don't, it would include way better goals like "Eat more snacks" and "Cook every night" and "Bake." All food related goals, for sure. Who can I blame?

But now I'm curious. Do any of you, fine readers, have such a list? Is it appropriate to challenge you to blog about it yourself? Or at least leave a comment? Or a silent prayer that my list will stop demanding my attention and I can blissfully return to my thoroughly non-motivated state? Please?

4 comments:

Holly said...

Love the list Alli. It's about pushing yourself & never giving up. The only one I have issues with is #2. I'm glad you want to be healthy but health isn't a specific number. And just make sure the push-ups are Army style. If you can always do 10 that means you are hard core. Hooah! :)

Ashley said...

Oh fun... lists! I didn't see "move to Indiana and hang out with your sister (forever)" on the list so I'm afraid you missed one. Hem. Keep on keeping on - be all that you can be - a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush! There you are, some inspirational sayings to get you going.

Anonymous said...

I have a list with over 100 items on it. I realize it'll change over time and I may not accomplish them all, but I kind of like having my list. A lot of times I'll be reading my list and realize that I've accomplished an item. I think that a lot are crossed off organically and not because I feel I "have" to.

Sara said...

I also object to the term "Bucket List". Too negative. I read a blog called Mighty Girl who calls hers "Mighty Life List" which I prefer. http://mightygirl.com/mighty-life-list/

Also, I just met a couple who did the Ironman Triathlon in May and my first reaction was to blurt "WHY?" (always socially graceful, this one) so don't count on me to cheer you on with goal #7. I can give you stick shift lessons on our next visit, though!